Spring must be coming soon! I have local spinach in my fridge! Wahoo! How can I get the most out of it? Make it last? This savory pie is sturdier than a quiche and less finicky. It’s a very reliable recipe that’s easy to make up.
You need one 9-inch pie crust.
- Mix pie crust. Whisk 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. baking powder together in a small bowl.
- Cut in 8 tbls. butter. Cut it in with a knife and squish with your fingers until it is well mixed (or use a pastry blender.)
- Fork in 3-4 tbls. ice water.
- Roll out, between parchment or plastic wrap, and shape into a 9-inch pie pan.
For the filling:
- Saute the onion in the butter until golden brown. Add in the spinach and cook for a brief minute, until wilted. Take off the heat to cool.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle some on the bottom to keep the crust from getting soggy.
- Beat egg and stir in ricotta, salt, thyme, flour, and spinach/onion mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. Bake at 375F for 50-55 minutes.
Adapted from King Arthur’s BC.