For some reason, we seem to be good at growing sage. Maybe you are too. This is an easy pizza to put together – no chopping, no precooking.
Pizza Dough (1 ball)
1/2 c. + 2 tbls. water
1 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
1 1/2 c. AP flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
2 balls fresh mozzarella
about 10-15 leaves of sage
red pepper flakes, salt
- Make the dough. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet. Knead for 10 minutes. Let rise in a bowl coated in olive oil and covered with plastic wrap for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Slice your mozzarella and put it on a cloth to dry.
- Shape the dough. Stretch and toss. Place on a pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Place mozzarella on the dough. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake on the lowest rack of your oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add sage. Bake for 8 minutes more or until brown.
- When it’s done, sprinkle with a small amount of red pepper flakes, a little salt, and grated Parmesan.
I followed most of the directions from a recipe in Local Flavors, a wonderful book that I’ve repeatedly checked out of the library and now own. (Thanks, Mom!)