Do you have too much lettuce? Tired of eating salad? Well, this recipe is a creative way in which to use up lettuce. Forget any preconceptions that you may have about something called pea soup. This is so fresh and good. Don’t skip the mint.
2 large leeks, washed and chopped
2 tbls. unsalted butter
3 cups chicken stock or broth
2 cups water
3 cups frozen or fresh peas
about 4 cups of chopped, green soft-leaf lettuce (butter lettuce)
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
optional finishes: 1/4 cup cream and buttered croutons
- Melt butter in the bottom of the pot which you will use for soup. Add leeks. Stirring occasionally, cook over medium until the leeks are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add lettuce and peas, lower heat, and simmer over low for 10 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in mint.
- Puree your soup with an immersion blender, food processor, or regular blender.
- Return to pan and season to taste with salt and pepper, keeping your soup over low heat.
- Drizzle in cream, if desired.
- For croutons, thickly slice and cube old bread. Toss with melted better, salt, pepper, and perhaps some parmesan or garlic salt. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350F for about 10 minutes until brown.
- Adapted from Gourmet.