This is an easy risotto to make on a busy evening – you bake it in the oven! Serve with a salad for instant comfort food.
1 lb. winter squash, peeled and cut into about 3/4 inch dice
2 cups Arborio rice
4 tbls. butter
3 1/2 c. chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. salt
about 6 leaves fresh sage, chopped finely
1/2 c. Parmesan
1/4 c. almonds or hazelnuts
- In a medium skillet, melt butter. Add rice and saute until it begins to turn a little brown.
- In another pan, heat stock with bay leaf.
- Add rice to a 2 quart casserole. Stir in squash, salt, pepper, and sage.
- Stir in warmed broth.
- Cover dish with lid or tightly fitting foil. Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid. Sprinkle with Parmesan and nuts. Bake for 10 more minutes until nuts are toasted.