Even though a lot of my eating habits have radically changed over the years, I still can’t help craving a big plate of Chinese food now and then. Or often. This is why I went looking for delectable homemade fried rice, which then led to home sprouting. Now, I am looking for a good, homemade eggroll. Reason number one: nothing says comfort food like a crispy eggroll. Reason number two: it’s time to start finding creative ways to get rid of cabbage.
This is a plain and simple roll – just veggies and crunch. While the Asian ingredients and egg roll wrappers are a little bit of a cheat, it’s certainly better than carry out, right?
Makes 6 eggrolls.
3-4 cups cabbage (Chinese or otherwise), washed and sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch of small scallions, chopped finely (about 1/2 cup)
2 carrots, grated
1/4 c. mung bean sprouts, chopped
2 tbls. peanut oil + more for pan-frying rolls
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3 grinds white pepper
1 tbls. light soy sauce
2 tsp. vegetarian black vinegar (or rice wine)
2 tsp. sesame oil
flour paste for sealing: 2 tbls. flour + 2 tbls. water
- Prepare vegetables.
- Heat wok over medium high. Add oil and heat until snapping.
- Add ginger, garlic, and scallions. Cook and stir for about 10 seconds.
- Add carrots and cabbage. Cook and stir until the cabbage is wilted.
- Add bean sprouts, soy sauce, pepper, and vinegar. Stir and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour this filling mixture into a colander to drain and cool completely. Drizzle with sesame oil.
- Lay out a wrapper and place about 4 tbls. of filling on one edge. Tuck the ends and roll up. Seal with the flour paste.
- Heat a small pan over medium. Heat oil until sizzling. Cook, turning to brown all sides evenly, for a total of about 4 minutes.
- The procedure is based on the one described in one of Ken Hom’s books.
- Egg rolls reheated well in a hot oven.
- If you’re making at the same time as fried rice, save yourself some work. Chop a few extra veggies in the same manner and just toss them into the rice. Adding cabbage was quite good.