Here’s some comfort food for you.
chicken (about 2 breasts or any chicken parts that you like, hacked up)
4 tbls. butter
1 large onion, diced
1/3 c. AP flour
3 cups chicken stock (or any amount of water + stock that equals 3 cups.)
6 or so large carrots, split into quarters
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp salt and about 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- Cut your chicken into large (3 bite) pieces.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium.
- Brown chicken in the butter and then remove from skillet.
- Cook the onion in the skillet until tender, for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over and stir around. Cook for one minute, until it begins to brown.
- Whisk in liquid.
- Return skillet to the mixture. Add carrots and herbs and seasonings. Cover and cook over medium low for 20 minutes.
While the chicken and veggies are cooking, mix up the dumplings:
1 cup milk
3 tbls. butter
2 cups AP flour
1 tbls. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
Heat milk and melt in butter. With a fork stir this into the dry ingredients.
7. Gently lay the dumplings on the surface of the liquid. Cover and cook for ten minutes.