Come on. Confess. You’ve been hoarding those berries in the back of your freezer. It’s time to get them out. Have some faith that spring is near. This flexible quick bread can be made with any berry, just be sure to defrost them completely before using.
Makes 2 loaves – one for you and one for a friend (who will truly appreciate the sharing of your freezer stash)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 white wheat (or whole wheat) flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp. lemon juice (optional)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
about 12 oz. blackberries, gently mashed
almonds (optional, for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven to 350F. This bread will mix up faster than your oven can preheat – it’s that quick! Grease and flour 2 bread pans.
- Mix flours, sugar, baking soda, salt.
- Stir in flavorings, eggs, oil, and applesauce.
- Fold in blackberries. (Don’t be alarmed. Your batter should be bright purple. Baking will tone it down a little.)
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Do you have a lot of frozen berries? How about dessert? Kids love roly poly or mix berries for an easy crisp.