I had some cherries in the freezer that were looking for a special purpose and picked up some rhubarb at last week’s market. If you’re on the hunt for new flavors, this quick dinner meets the need. I adapted it from this recipe, which uses dried cherries.)
one very small onion
3 oz. cherries (fresh or thawed from freezer)
2 large stalks of rhubarb (about 8 oz.)
2 tbls. sugar
1 tbls. vinegar (I used some locally made plum cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar would work nicely, as well.)
1/4 c. water
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper
2-4 pork chops
- Mince the onion finely. Drizzle 2 tbls. of olive oil in a saucepan. Put onion on to cook over medium-low until soft (about 10 minutes.)
- Trim rhubarb. Remove tough strings, if there are any. Quarter stalks lengthwise and dice coarsely.
- Add rhubarb, cherries, sugar, vinegar, and 1/4 c. water to saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high.
- Remove lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Keep sauce warm while you cook the pork. (To cook the chops, heat oil, season, and cook over medium for about 4 minutes per side.)