This pie brings together the old and the new – raspberries from the freezer and this season’s rhubarb. My mom artfully adapted this recipe from Fannie Farmer’s Baking Book, a book with recipes for every pie imaginable.
5-6 stalks rhubarbs about 3 cups raspberries
(or enough fruit to fill a 9 inch pie crust)
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbls. butter, diced
Mom’s crust (makes a top and bottom crust):
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. plus 2 tbls. shortening
7-8 tbls. ice water
- Prepare crust. Measure dry ingredients and cut in the shortening. Sprinkle in water, one tablespoon a time, and mix together. Divide dough into two pieces. Roll out a top and bottom crust between floured wax paper. Place one crust in a 9-inch pie crust.
- Wash and dice rhubarb. Wash and dry raspberries.
- Toss all ingredients together for filling.
- Pour the filling into the shell. Assemble top crust by placing it carefully on top and pinching the edges. Cut a few vents.
- Bake at 450F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F for 30-40 minutes. (You should see thick bubbles, seeping through the vents.)