We got a superginormous cauliflower in our CSA box last week. Now, I don’t know if superginormous is a real (or respectable) word, but I learned it from a first grader and nothing seems more apt to describe this cauliflower. It took up the entirety of one vegetable drawer in the refrigerator. If you’re a more scientific person and require a more precise description, it weighed in at 3 pounds, 12 ounces.
Now, what does one do with so much cauliflower? Short of inviting everyone you know over and forcing them to eat cauliflower soup? I thought to jazz up my usual puree with one of Laughing Crow Farm’s beautiful torpedo onions.
one torpedo onion (or regular red onion)
1 tbls. butter
1 lb. cauliflower
3 tbls. white wine
2 cups stock, chicken or veggie
salt, pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a pot large enough to hold your cauliflower.
- Slice onion into about 1/4 rings. And add to butter of medium-low. Stir often and cook until caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Add wine and scrape up brown bits in bottom of pan.
- Add stock.
- Add cauliflower. Cover partially with lid.
- Bring to boil and maintain for ten minutes. Stir a few times.
- Using an immersion blender or blender, blend until smooth. Add 1 more tbls. of butter, if you like, and salt and pepper to taste.