No corn syrup here. Just delicious good stuff. Pick up mini skewers at the grocery store and you’re all set.
8 small apples
1 cup cream
1 cup honey
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
or anything else you’d like to roll into your caramel
- Prepare. Wash apples, press sticks into the top, and place in the refrigerator to chill. Line a baking sheet or cutting board with a sheet of parchment. Fill a metal bowl with ice and water. Set aside. Place each topping in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, mix cream and salt. Over medium heat, bring barely to a simmer.
- Stir in honey. Increase the heat slightly and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat so that the mixture simmers vigorously (more active than a simmer, but less than a boil). Stir gently and constantly while it continues to simmer vigorously for 15-20 minutes. With a candy thermometer, the temperature should measure between 255-260F. Your caramel will change to a darker brown color and become thick.
- Place the saucepan with caramel in the cold water bath that you prepared. Dip the apples in and roll pan to cover. You may have to reheat the caramel very briefly, if it thickens too much.
- Dip into your toppings.
- Cool and enjoy.
Adapted from this.