It’s zucchini season! This one pot pasta dish cooks up quickly for those evenings when you’re wondering how to make dinner in a hurry. Based on this delicious recipe, you’ll find it’s a good way to use up that squash (and feed a hungry family who’d rather be playing outside.) If you think zucchini and browned almonds are a funny combination, just try it once. It’s a little magical.
Simple Zucchini Pasta with Ricotta and Almonds
1 large zucchini
1/2 c. ricotta
8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
1/4 c. slivered almonds
olive oil, salt, coarse white pepper
- Boil water for pasta and cook according to instructions. Be sure to salt the water. While it’s cooking set a bowl and a strainer in your sink. When you drain the pasta, reserve about one cup of the pasta water in the bowl. Drizzle pasta with a little olive oil and set aside.
- Slice zucchini into thin ribbons. (Using a julienne peeler, this is an easy task.)
- Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to your now empty pasta pot. Over medium, stir almonds until browned. Remote from pot and set aside.
- Add a little more oil in the pan. Cook zucchini for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in ricotta. Stir around. Add pasta water 1 tablespoon at a time until your sauce is the consistency you’d like. Salt and coarse pepper to taste.
- Plate and top with almonds.