The peekaboo sunshine and the birds rallying in the plum tree seem to be telling us that spring is coming quickly. My stash of storage potatoes in the basement begs to differ. For some reason, this season, we’ve been slow to use up our potatoes and have to get on it! Potato soup? Pirogi time? Maybe invite over a crowd and feed them all gratin? Some of our potatoes, gratefully ordered from Laughing Crow Farm at the beginning of the winter, are beginning to sprout. I just cut that part off and proceed as normal, no problem. If I’m cooking up something that I’d like to become brown and crispy, I rinse the prepared potatoes under warm water and dry on a towel. (This removes a little extra starch.)
This dish provides some protein in your lunchbox by combining lentils, herbs, and potatoes in a simple salad that serves well at room temperature. Miraculously, we still have fresh parsley growing on our deck garden. It’s been so fun to have over the winter. (Thanks, Tani Creek seeds!)
Lunchbox Lentil and Potato Salad
About 4-6 lunches, depending on portion size
1 cup green French lentils
4-5 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
half of one onion
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped finely
2 tbls. olive oil
2 tbls. sherry vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
4 strips bacon, cooked (optional)
- Fill a medium pot and bring to a boil on high.
- Wash, peel, and cut the potatoes, removing eyes or any sprouts. Cube into about 1 inch pieces. Boil for 20 minutes in salted water. Drain the potatoes and set aside in a bowl big enough to hold the potatoes and a little extra.
- Rinse lentils and add to about 3 cups of water. Add half of an onion, one clove of garlic, and one bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes. Drain. Discard the onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Add the lentils to the potatoes
- In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, sparsely, salt, and pepper to make a dressing.
- Pour this dressing over the potatoes and lentils. Crumble in bacon.
- Enjoy warm or cold!