We have a new kitchen to get to know and, now that we’re settled into it, are having a lot of fun playing with new things and cooking up old favorites. Here are a few recipes that we’ve been loving lately.
- There is no better way to test out a new oven than watching pita bread puff up. I make this recipe with all whole wheat flour.
- My new favorite trick for breakfast, lunch boxes, and on the go meals is this omelet. Even the t-ball team loved it. (Whew, kids are sometimes the hardest critics.)
- Steam! Oh, be still my heart. I have a new toy. I’ve been learning how to cook in a steam oven. I’m loading it with fish, rice, and veggies in it, and instantly making a ridiculously easy and fresh meal. The biggest surprise is that now I can make oatmeal at the push of a button with no pan to clean. I have used this ratio with success: 2 cups water, 1 cup steel cut oats, 1 tbls. buttermilk. Mix it all up in a metal cake pan. Put it in the steam oven the night before. Program it to be done when you wake, cooking for 20 minutes at 212. I have also made yogurt and can’t wait to can and dehydrate in this one stop gadget.
- I’m not going to lie, there’s been a fair amount of homemade ice cream to get through the busy days. But, there’s also been this healthier, quick smoothie.
- Still making pizza with this recipe often. These days, when there are kids around, they get topped any old way.65￼
- How did I miss the avocado toast craze? Where have I been? I’m now working to make up for lost time with this stand by.
- And some days, you just have to treat yourself and let someone else make the coffee. Thanks, Hitchcock Deli. Wow. Just wow.
What’s happening in your kitchen? Hope it’s full of spring goodness and the promise of (fruitful!) summer days.