Tis the season for potatoes. Here’s a simple side dish that reheats well for lunches or successive dinners. It does take awhile to bake, so put it in early, go do something else, and come back to it.
Total prep: about 10 minutes
Total baking time: 1 hr. 45 min.
2 tbls. flour
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 pounds potatoes (gold, red, russet – any fine selection will do)
2 tbls. butter
2 cups milk
- Preheat your oven to 35oF. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Slice potatoes into thin circles on a mandolin (or the side of a box grater, like I did.)
- Whisk the flour, salt, and pepper into a small bowl.
- Layer the potatoes and sprinkle with the flour mixture every so often. Finish with a top layer of potatoes.
- Melt the butter and stir into the milk. Pour over the potatoes.
- Cover with a lid and bake for 45 minutes. Remove lid and bake for 1 hour more.
Feeds about 8 hungry people or 2 people for lots of meals. To be extra decadent, you might try sprinkling the layers with cheese.