There’s a lot of ways that you can dress up pumpkin pie. Recipes are always trying to entice you with odd ingredients. But, on Thanksgiving, what’s really needed is just plain and simple tradition. Here’s a pumpkin pie that is exactly that – fullproof, reliable, and delicious.
Makes 1 9-inch pie, about 8-10 slices.
sugar pumpkin, about 2 pounds (about 1 1/2 c. puree)
your favorite pie crust recipe, one crust
2 eggs, plus 2 more yolks
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. cream
- To make pumpkin puree:
Rinse pumpkin. Remove stem. Cut it in half. Remove seeds and filaments. Turn the halves cut side down onto a baking sheet. Bake for about an hour at 350F or until the flesh is tender. Cool. Puree.
- Roll out your crust and place in a buttered, 9-inch pie plate.
- Whisk eggs into the pumpkin puree. Whisk remaining ingredients in, until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour in the center of the oven.
- Cool and refrigerate until dessert time.
- Save your pumpkin seeds for a crunchy snack.
- Pumpkin puree can keep for several days, stored in the fridge.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream, of course.